Danish Centre for Urban History suggests the following topics for master theses.
Chronological and thematic topics
- The town as a cartographic project
Buzzwords: Who has measured the town and why? Realism or symbolism?
- The town as a cartographic project - descriptions and publications
Buzzwords: Who has described the town and why? What was emphasized?
- Local patriotism or state control?
- The exhibited city
Buzzwords: The permanent exhibition of the city. Ideologies, elite culture, folk culture, self-understanding and understanding of museums.
- The metabolism of the city: energy system and ressources.
Buzzwords: The city as metabolism. Ressources and energy consumption. How much, how and where from?
The medieval town
- The market square and public areas after the Reformation
Buzzwords: The conquest of the former clergy areas in the town: which functions and buildings arose when the monasteries moved out of the towns?
The pre-industrial city
- The business and functions of the industrial and commercial citizens
Buzzwords: Charity, self-understanding, elite culture
- The development of the public in the cities 1800-1900
Buzzwords: Local politics, associations, democracy, news papers
- A year in the public life of the city, 1780-1800-1830-1850-1870
Buzzwords: News papers, public culture, elite culture, folk culture
- Pre-industrial public investments
Buzzwords: Buildings and squares in the city
- A fair price - the use of rates and price agreements
Buzzwords: Market listings, prices at market trade, moral economy,
The industrial city
- The ressources of the city
Buzzwords: CO², environmental politics
- Trade in the cities and hinterlands: new mechanisms
Buzzwords: banks, savings banks, shops
- The architecture of the city
Buzzwords: headquaters (banks, savings banks, credit unions), the representative buildings (theatres, city halls, stations)
- Urban patterns and community growth 1950-1970
Buzzwords: Planning, growth, industry
- Regional patterns in the deindustrialization of the cities
Buzzwords: Industry, business, trade, globalization
- Social consequences of the deindustrialization of the cities
Buzzwords: Exclusion and inclusion, gentricification, affiliation, immigration
- City branding
Buzzwords: Branding, exhibitions